The Palace of Fine Arts has as an immediate antecedent the building that housed the old National Theater, considered the most important of its kind in the artistic and cultural life of our country during the second half of the 19th century. At the beginning of the 20th century, as part of the program of architectural works with which Mexico City was being embellished, it was first thought to renovate it, but it was decided to demolish it to build another, according to the urban and cultural growth of the City. The location of the new theater was carefully studied by both the authorities and its Italian architect, Adamo Boari. Finally, in 1901 it had already been decided that it would be located next to the Alameda Central.
Building The history of the construction of the new National Theater, later called Palacio de Bellas Artes, is complex and has a unique dynamic; Two important periods in the history of our country define it: the Porfirio Díaz regime and the Mexican Revolution. The works began in 1904 with the aim of completing it in four years; however, budgetary and technical problems were delaying its conclusion. After the outbreak of the Revolution in 1910 and the worsening economic situation in the country, Adamo Boari returned to Europe in 1916. Almost all the exterior had been completed, up to that date, except for the covering of the dome. The generalized idea that the National Theater, in the period from 1917 to 1929, was completely abandoned is difficult to sustain, since there was great interest in its completion, both by some post-revolutionary governments and by the general public. Furthermore, the building was used very frequently to celebrate important acts of city life.
From 1930, under the presidency of Pascual Ortiz Rubio, the architect Federico E. Mariscal was in charge of the project for the completion of the National Theater; however, it was not until 1932, with the support of the Secretary of the Treasury, Alberto J. Pani, that the work was revitalized with the precise instructions to conceive a building "... seat of a national artistic institution", which It will house several museums, hence the name of the building was changed for the first time in 30 years, from the National Theater to the Palace of Fine Arts. Due to the heavy investment required to finish the site, it had to respond to a social need and be of public utility. Thus, the Palace of Fine Arts was completed by the architect Mariscal on March 10, 1934.
Remodeling From 2008 to 2010, the largest intervention was carried out at its theater and performance hall, in which platforms, stage sections, stage, moat, lighting, acoustics, booths and armchair were renovated. Other renovations have been carried out on the premises, among which stand out in 1993, the construction of the underground parking lot; a year later the remodeling of the exhibition rooms of the Museum of the Palace of Fine Arts; and from 2000 to 2004, the restoration of its domes.